Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bammer upsets Bartoli at U.S. Open

I got to see only parts of this match, but I do know that--once again--Marion Bartoli had to take a medical break because of her back, and because of what appeared to be cramping. She had to have her blood pressure checked, I know. I have written many times about my fear that Bartoli's father/coach over-trains her. I maintain that position.

All the same, Bartoli, the 12th seed, did pretty well, but in the end, she lost to the 29th-seeded Sybille Bammer in a really lopsided score: 7-6, 0-6, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Elena Dementieva took an easy lead over Li Na, saw it evaporate into a small lead, but took the first set, anyway, and cruised through the second. Li is moving and hitting better than ever, but she had too many unforced errors to win this match. Dementieva def. Li, 7-5, 6-2

Because I was on the road, I missed the match between Jelena Jankovic and Caroline Wozniacki. Wozniacki took the first set, and Jankovic said she plotted a strategy for the second set: Be more aggressive on one side, hit harder on the other, and put more spin on the ball. It worked. Jankovic def. Wozniacki, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1

Finally, Patty Schnyder overcame Katarina Srebotnik, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Schnyder is now 4-1 against Srebotnik.

2 comments:

rtt281 said...

Glad you got out OK, but Dementieva never lost her early lead and won 6-4, 6-1.

Diane said...

I meant she lost the easy lead, but I didn't word it very well; I've cleaned it up to make more sense.