Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 5 upsets

The big upset today was, of course, Katarina Srebotnik's defeat of 3rd seed Svetlana Kuznetsova. But it was not the only one. Caroline Wozniacki, seeded 21st, defeated the 14th seed, Victoria Azarenka, 6-4, 6-4.

And though it was not an upset (for some of us, it was the expected outcome), Lindsay Davenport, former U.S. Open champion, was taken out in the third round by 12th seeded Marion Bartoli, 6-1, 7-6. Bartoli overwhelmed Davenport in the first set, then blew a chain of break points in the second, only to revive herself for the tiebreak, which she won, 7-3. Davenport had repeated problems with her service game, and--much of the time--looked like she would rather be somewhere else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,

I have a question or two for you. First, did you catch Davenport and Huber's last doubles match at the Olympics? It also seemed like Lindsay would rather not be there. There was (especially as the match progressed) so little communication between the two women -- it was so awkward.
I forgot my second question, so I'll be sure to bug you later. Hope you're enjoying the Open.

-David

Diane said...

No, I didn't see that, David, but it doesn't surprise me.

I was enjoying the Open, but today is CBS day, and the local affiliate is doing hurricane bulletins (and not very good ones) rather than showing the tournament.