Monday, January 25, 2010

Spaniards upset in 3rd round of Australian Open

Maria Kirilenko is at it again. The woman who took out Maria Sharapova in the first round of the Australian Open has also--along with partner Agnieszka Radwanska--upset the 3rd seeds in doubles. Kirilenko and Radwanska, seeded 15th, soundly defeated Nuria Llagostera Vives and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez in the third round today. The 6-1, 6-2 victory over the winners of the 2009 Sony Ericsson Championships is as surprising an upset as any we have had so far.

Next for Kirilenko and Radwanska are Laura Robson and Sally Peers.

3 comments:

Beatka said...

So, Diane, I wonder what are your thoughts about Aga/MaKiri chances. I think they played fenomenally so far. But, on the other hand, Schiavone is loorking in the semis...

Diane said...

I haven't seen much of the doubles at all, so it's hard for me to say. Who thought Robson and Peers were going to go this far? But, offhand, I think Maria and Aga have a chance at progressing.

And, not to take anything away from them, but--I have to ask--did Nuria's serve leave her again?

Beatka said...

Until 4:0 they looked pretty good, but as the match was progressing, Nuria lost her serve and Sanchez couldn't find the court. And basically Aga played herself the rest of the match...
Now, I don't know, if them entering the court propably somewhere around midnight is good or bad (since mens QF kind take up to 10 hours). I wish I could watch that live, but don't think they will start until tomorrow morning our time.