Sunday, January 17, 2010

Australian Open--what they said

What did you think of Maria's outfit or costume? Do you ever pay attention to things like that?
"It was blue, I think, like PowerAde...."
Maria Kirilenko

"You have to push yourself and work on your weaknesses day to day. It's not the sport where you're the best, you just win by the name. No, you have to every day work."
Dinara Safina

"So she definitely played some tricky tennis. I would like to say she's an opponent that's very hard to read. She has a technique that's really hard to read."
Kim Clijsters, referring to Valerie Tetreault

"At the end of the first set, I actually had the cramps a little bit, but nobody know."
Maria Kirilenko

How would you describe your sense of confidence right now?
"Well, I'm leaving on Monday of the first week, so that explains a lot."
Maria Sharapova

"...what I found difficult was when I went back out again, because my legs were really cold obviously from the ice. I didn't want to warm up too much because I thought, I'm gonna start cramping again. Because I'm a very physical kind of player, I like to kind of go to the back of the court and jump around and really get myself pumped up. I found it quite difficult that I had to kind of get really flat, and then just before the points I had to get myself up again, you know? That was a little bit difficult, because sometimes if you go too flat, then you just go flat full stop. Because I'm very intense all the time, I found it a little bit difficult."
Elena Baltacha, on overcoming cramps in her first round match

"Calm, calm down, it's only first round"
Maria Kirilenko, explaining her finger-to-the-lips gesture after her 1st round victory

No comments: