Sunday, January 24, 2010

Henin goes to the quarterfinals

The much-anticipated match between the two Belgians, Justine Henin and Yanina Wickmayer, has resulted in a 7-6, 1-6, 6-3 victory for Henin, who now moves on to the Australian Open quarterfinals. The match, which contained seven breaks of serve, was widely regarded as a quality affair by those who saw it. (I was not one of those people. I couldn't stay up that late, though I tried. I think the high and bizarre drama of the Ladies National Figure Skating Championships did me in, too.)

Also advancing to the quarterfinals was Zheng Jie, who defeated Alona Bondarenko in a match that had its share of unforced errors (74 in all) and momentun swings. Zheng hit twice as many winners as her opponent, and--although Alona didn't exactly go Bondarenko on us in the second set--she did have an attitude slip that probably did her no favors. Bondarenko also performed poorly at the net. Zheng's 7-6, 6-4 victory gives her a quarterfinal meeting with Maria Kirilenko.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, you watched US nas, too?
Nagasu was robbed. Especially in the PCS.

Diane said...

I figured I'm just a laywoman, and what do I know? But the commentators--who are all experts--were equally shocked.

Happens a lot in figure skating, doesn't it?