Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's all about Dokic

Just as Martina Hingis, beginning her comeback, stormed the Australian Open and went to the quarterfinals a few years ago, Jelena Dokic has become the story of this year's Open. In the round of 16, she was faced with her first really big hitter, Alisa Kleybanova, and she squeaked by, 7-5, 5-7, 8-6. Everyone is busy praising Dokic (as well they should), but let us also commend Kleybanova for holding forth against a huge crowd favorite, and providing spectators with a an exciting match.

Dokic didn't just win a tennis match, however. She also publicly informed her father that he is not welcome at her matches, and that she wants nothing to do with him. The delusional Damir Dokic has "apologized" to his daughter, and is apparently ready to interfere in her life again. Of course, with him, "interference" is actually abuse.

Dokic will now play Dinara Safina in the quarterfinals. Safina is another big hitter, of course. There are other factors involved: Dokic may have hurt her ankle when she rolled it during her fouth round match. Safina is again having trouble with her head. If a wind comes up, the Russian will be in trouble.

11 comments:

Sasha said...

That match had me on the edge of my seat. Even though the tennis wasn't of the highest standard, I was extremely impressed with both Dokic and Kleybanova, but the audience should have showed far more respect to Alisa. Some of her shots were phenomenal and the 'applause' was lukewarm.

Diane said...

Yes, it's too bad that people who refer to themselves as "sporting" cannot give due respect to a worthy opponent.

Sasha said...

I know a lot of people having been slating womens tennis and of course the perennial argument that women shouldn't receive as much as men has been thrown in as well (yawn), but I am really enjoying the women's tennis much more. I'm in the UK right now and we are having Murray shoved down our throats so much right now I want to scream. Love this blog!

wtaoncourt.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Thanks, Sasha!

Herzblut said...

hey there, Sasha, from a fellow Uk-er...I so agree with you about Murray - even more so, as a Scot myself :)

I watched the whole match this morning - started just as I got up and right through the morning, and it was so good.....

and Dokic has my great admiration for dealing with her father in the way she has: it's something I need to do with a family member, and have yet to summon up the strength to do.... :(

Sasha said...

Not that I am any great family psychologist, but if you really want stand up to this person, do it. You'll feel so much better afterwards.

Diane said...

Well, I am a family therapist, and I agree totally with Sasha. Relationships with family members who are inappropriate or abusive should not be retained just because those people are family members. When you think about it, it's really the other way around: It's that much worse because they are family members.

Sasha said...

Bravo Diane!

Anonymous said...

I agree that Kleybanova should be given more credit. She was phenomenal! They both were: Dokic absolutely refused to give up. Let's hope that ankle holds up for the next match. I was amazed at Kleybanova's ability to consistently hit winners from defensive positions. That short crosscourt forehand had my jaw dropping. I'll be keeping my eye on her. What a pleasure it was to see that match!

Herzblut said...

Diane, Sasha, thank you both for the support; yes, it IS worse because of who she is.....that's taken my courage up a notch, Diane; she(my mother)could out-Machiavelli Machiavelli.....has everyone seeing this 'poor wee 80 year old lady' and me as the 53 year old daughter who is just, well, uncaring and horrible.....and I'm not; trouble is I stuffed all the crap down for so long that I've only just begun to have it surface in the last few years, and now realise the extent of the damage done to me. She is deeply disturbing, will not respect any boundaries I ask of her, and so it looks like the break is coming....

apologies for the off-tennis ramble, Diane :(

Diane said...

I'm glad you brought it up, Claire, and could get some encouragement. Believe me, I know just what you're talking about. She won't be happy until she gets the Victim of the Century award, I'm sure.