Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mattek-Sands wins Australian mixed doubles title

Bethanie Mattek-Sands and her partner, Horia Tecau, have won the 2012 Australian Open mixed doubles championship. Mattek-Sands and Tecau, seeded 8th, defeated 5th seeds Elena Vesnina and Leander Paes 6-3, 5-7, 10-3 in the final.

Mattek-Sands and Tecau entered the tournament at the last minute. Mattek-Sands has been recovering from a shoulder injury and had decided not to play all three events in Melbourne. But when she went out of singles competition in the first round, she decided to enter mixed.

"It gives me a lot of confidence even just being in that moment being able to close it out," Mattek-Sands said in the press conference. "I think that does a lot for me. You know, I have been in a couple singles finals in WTA events and haven't been able to close it out. So I think finally closing one out feels awesome."

No comments: