Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Australian Open--what they said

I start laughing every time because the media talks to me like I'm finishing my career and I only have one year left and time is running out.
Caroline Wozniacki

Your mind is sometimes boiling and it's difficult to think.
Victoria Azarenka

Are you sure about this ball?
It's more out than in.
Chair umpire to Andrea Hlavackova

There's been a lot made of the noise of some of the female players. What are your thoughts on that?
To be honest, I'm kind of used to it, you know, especially with Vika. We know each other for many years. About Maria, I mean, what can I say?  For sure that is pretty annoying and it's just too loud.
Agnieszka Radwanska   

The WTA is looking at it (grunting, etc.) and obviously assessing their options. Do you think they need to be acting on it?  
I think it's kind of silly, you know. But WTA should maybe look at some other things, too.
Victoria Azarenka 

It was good not to use too much energy in the heat, but also just with my foot trying to always positioning it straight. You know, the rotation where my foot is in the ground and I like rotate with my foot on the ground, that's, you know, what I'm trying to be careful with, because the ligaments, you know, are definitely a little bit hurt.
Kim Clijsters

We won the match like, twice.
Sania Mirza

4 comments:

Dougie Messenger said...

Why do all of the writers call it grunting, when in fact it is shrieking and screaming? A grunt is a low-pitched 'uuh', not an 'aieeeeeeHHHAHH' or worse.
The only objectionable grunt that I've heard is Schiavone's. But the shrieking of deBrito, Sharapova, Azarenka, Williams and others MUST STOP. It is a hindrance, pure and simple; attempted intimidation, pure and simple. Kindly write about this. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

How fun was the Mirza, Vesnina match with Huber and Raymond?

I think Elena responded to Sania's, "We won the match like, twice." with an equally exasperated, "No, more like three times."

Diane said...

DM, I've asked for a few years now why commentators and writers call screaming "grunting." I guess they don't know any better :) None of it bothers me.

I didn't hear Elena, thanks for the follow-up, Anon. Wow. What a match.

svente said...

I look forward to the day when women making noise is no longer repeatedly brought up. I trust I will be waiting a long time. Sigh.