Sunday, July 27, 2008

Safina victorious in Los Angeles

It was frustrating to watch Flavia Pennetta not be able to put pressure on her left foot because of her blister. Her serve, as one would expect, went to hell. I felt bad for her--it was her first Tier II final, and she had to play it injured.

On the other hand, it was delightful to watch Dinara Safina take calm control of the match and do almost everything right. I am a believer in this new Safina, who will soon be number 8 in the world. I just wish that she had played a healthy Pennetta, and--as much as I like Safina--I would have enjoyed an upset, too.

Safina is physically and mentally fit. I'm no longer worried about the mental part; if she remains physically healthy, she has nowhere to go but up.

Safina def. Pennetta, 6-4, 6-2

No comments: