Monday, July 28, 2008

Oudin wins her first ITF event

It's a good thing I read other tennis blogs or I wouldn't know what was going on. I just learned from reading Todd Spiker's WTA Backspin that former junior world number 1 (now number 3) Melanie Oudin just won her first ITF tournament. Oudin defeated Carly Gullickson in the final of a $50K event in Lexington, Kentucky.

In the same post, Todd pretty much sums up the riddle that is Jelena Jankovic. I quietly banged my head against the wall as I read it.

4 comments:

Todd Spiker said...

Haha. Hopefully, you have no permanent damage, Diane. :)

I used to not be able to get a real good read on how I felt about Jankovic, but I've come to realize that I just love the idea of her. There's simply no one who's more fun to talk about. I only hope she takes care of herself so the dramedy can last as long as possible.

Diane said...

I would love the idea of her more if I weren't such a fan. As it is, I am too invested in wanting her to meet her potential.

Todd Spiker said...

It's a good and fun story either way, but an even better one if she wins.

Of course, if she does manage to end this week ranked #1, it'll be one of those "yeah, but" situations since I believe she'd be the first woman to do it without having ever reached a slam final in her career.

Diane said...

I want her to do well in Montreal, but I don't really want her to be number 1 right now. People were hard enough on Mauresmo and Clijsters when they were number 1 without winning a major. I can only imagine what they will say if JJ becomes number 1. Of course, the ranking system isn't JJ's responsibility.