Monday, July 7, 2008

All England Club staff picks best matches

The staff of the All England Club chose what they thought were the best matches of Wimbledon 2008. Six of them were women's matches:

Venus Williams def. Serena Williams, final
Ana Ivanovic def. Nathalie Dechy, 2nd round
Zheng Jie def. Nicole Vaidisova, quarterfinal
Laura Robson def. Noppawan Lertcheewakarn, junior girls' final
Tamarine Tanasugarn def. Vera Zvonareva, 2nd round
Nadia Petrova def. Victoria Azarenka, 3rd round

I regret that I did not get to see the last two matches on the list, but I may still watch at least parts of them. I also did not see all of the Zheng-Vaidisova match.

Of the matches I did see, my favorites (although not necessarily my favorite outcomes) were, in no particular order:

Shahar Peer def. Dinara Safina
Ana Ivanovic def. Nathalie Dechy
Tamarine Tanasugarn def. Marina Makarova
Laura Robson def. Noppawan Lertcheewakarn
Serena Williams def. Zheng Jie (second set)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the ivanovic vs dechy match was my fav.
because:
- everyone though ivanovic would have it wasy but dechy really stepped up and showed what she's capable of.
- most of the match was so intense and even, a great contest, it was impossible to tell which way it would swing.
- some really great shots in the match from both ladies.
- dechy was pure class on court and when interviewed.

Dani :)

Diane said...

I went ahead and threw that one in. I can't say I enjoyed it that much, but it was indeed a very good match.