Friday, September 3, 2010

U.S. Open--what they said

The score makes it look like it was easy for Sam Stosur, but it really wasn't.
Virginia Wade

She definitely makes you work for nearly every single point. So I think that was more of the reason for a little frustration today. I didn't want to go down that same path as I did last week.
Sam Stosur, referring to Sara Errani

Do you ever ask your mother to be a little more calm when she's watching...?

I always ask her, but I realize it's very difficult to watch and not be able to help.
Elena Dementieva

You know, you do it one match, second match, and then it start to become natural instinct, as well. That's what I'm really thrilled to see, because, like I was saying, I work so hard. But in important moments sometimes I doubted. But now it's kind of coming together, the belief in myself again.
Ana Ivanovic

You can't lose ten games in a row and not go to Plan B.
Elise Bergen, referring to Petra Kvitova

Did you feel at all that you didn't get full credit for your win here last year because of the way Serena lost?
No.
How much do you regret her not being here that you don't have a chance to beat her again?
Look, I mean, my tournaments are not based on what Serena does....
Kim Clijsters

I do get very stubborn sometimes. That's a little bit annoying to my coaches. But, hey, you have to take the bad, too.
Ana Ivanovic

I think now she is in big shape, because she mix it up between power and running and good defense. I saw her in Cincinnati and Montréal. To win this match would be really tough. She has nothing to lose. But in the same time she is young and has being energy. So I have to use my experience and all that I have. I can't play easy or 70%, because is not enough.
Francesca Schiavone, on her next opponent, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

She probably wishes the hurricane had hit already.
Bud Collins, when Gisela Dulko double-faulted to go down 0-4 in the 2nd set

No comments: