Wednesday, September 1, 2010

U.S. Open--what they said


I got to go on the biggest stage in the tennis world and play one of the best players there is. It can't get any better than that. And I also didn't get killed. That was pretty nice as well.
Rebecca Marino

...I learned about myself and just about the world in general and how everything goes. You know, I mean, what I learned is that it goes on no matter what.
Ana Ivanovic

I'm bewildered as to why Vania King can't break through in these big matches.
Virginia Wade

Seemed like every time I had an opening she would hit a big serve. So I guess I know what it's like now playing myself.
Venus Williams, referring to Rebecca Marino

 ...the crowd was like really, really loud. It was just like a lot. The second I got out there, I guess it kind of overwhelmed me a little bit...
Melanie Oudin

If a player has trouble with the heat, do you think of that as a fitness issue or just a dangerous heat issue?
I think it's a combination of two. Also, I think it also has to do with how an individual perceives it and also which conditions they prepare and they're used to. But, yeah, I guess just have to find what works best for you. I think it is very important to hydrate well the day before and also, you know, that morning before the match and try to use ice on the court. It really does help a lot, just keeping cold ice around the neck area.
Ana Ivanovic

Oh, Can-a-da!
Mary Carillo, after Rebecca Marino's kick serve almost grazed her opponent's head

I didn't think I moved very well. And I think I really know why: It was because I was nervous and I got tight....also I don't swing as fast when that happens. So I think that's why my forehand wasn't working... especially the down-the-line shot, that's one of my favorite shots. I hardly made that at all.
Melanie Oudin

...there are some bad tosses, like everyone else has them. But I hope I'm not as famous for that anymore.
Ana Ivanovic

I'm a hard-working woman.
Venus Williams

No comments: