Monday, August 9, 2010

Jovanovski upsets Rezai in Cincinnati

Bojana Jovanovski, the young Serbian player who got herself noticed during the Fed Cup World Group playoffs, had the biggest win of her career today. In the first round in Cincinnati, Jovanovski defeated 14th seed Aravane Rezai 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. Jovanovski is ranked number 98 in the world.

The other upset today was Ana Ivanovic's 2-6, 7-6, 6-2 defeat of 9th seed Victoria Azarenka. Azarenka won the Stanford title earlier this month. In the next round, Ivanovic will play either Yaroslava Shvedova or Alla Kudryavtseva.

Also defeated were Sabine Lisicki, who is returning from a long injury layoff, and Dominika Cibulkova. Lisicki was defeated by qualifier Monica Niculescu, and Cibulkova lost to Alona Bondarenko.

In first round doubles play, wild cards Carly and Chelsey Gullickson upset 6th seeds Alisa Kleybanova and Ekaterina Makarova 3-6, 6-1, 10-8.

4 comments:

Overhead Spin said...

I am not sure why so many people are celebrating this win for Ana. Until she is able to back it up with another win, then I am still meh. Yaraslova will actually be a tougher opponent than Vika. Why? Because Yaraslova's serve will not desert her in the way that Vika's did.

In addition, Shvedova moves very well, hits the ball cleanly on both sides and will not be afraid to come to net and put away balls. Pity we will neither get to see or hear that match being played.

I have to say that sometimes I do hate when the tennis season comes to North America as that is the time of the year when I get to watch the least amount of tennis. You would think as I am in the same time zone I would appreciate that, but nope, not at all.

Diane said...

Assuming Shvedova will be her opponent, I, too, think she will be a tough one for Ivanovic.

The Fan Child said...

I've only seen one full Shvedova match, but that was all it took for me to consider her a very promising young player.

She is only 3 spots off her career high, and she's heading for her first-ever top-50 finish.

Hopefully it will be a well played match.

Diane said...

I've been watching Shvedova for a few years and enjoy everything about her. Her Wimbledon win was so inspired--I hope she carries that winning feeling into her singles matches.