Monday, May 31, 2010

Petrova and Stosur retire in French Open doubles

Alona and Kateryna, the Bondarenko sisters, advanced to the quarterfinals of the French Open today when their opponents--4th seeds Nadia Petrova and Sam Stosur--retired at 1-6, 0-1 in the round of 16. My understanding is that Petrova became ill with a g.i. sickness of some sort. I will update as I get more information.

Also advancing were the top seeds, Serena and Venus Williams, who defeated 11th seeds Maria Kirilenko and Agnieszka Radwanska. 3rd seeds Liezel Huber and Anabel Medina Garrigues defeated 5th seeds Gisela Dulko and Flavia Pennetta 1-6, 6-0, 7-6, and 10th seeds Chan Yung-Jan and Zheng Jie were easily upset by Monica Niculescu and Shahar Peer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a chill when I first saw this...I hope it's nothing serious since these 2 have been doing so well...fingers crossed.

Mel

Diane said...

Whatever it is, I'm glad they retired--though I hate to see them leave the doubles draw.

Rosemary said...

Thanks so much for the post, very helpful info.