Sunday, May 30, 2010

French Open--what they said

...I don't want to compare, because everything is so different. I'm not yet as consistent as I was, because it's normal. It's only a few tournaments I've played. The confidence I had at that time, I built it with many years. So I still need some time. I just said when I started I said, It's going to be a year of transition. I still think it, even if I had good results from the beginning of the season. I have really ambitions to go as far as possible, but I'm also conscious that I'll have to work hard on my intensity, my concentration, and just to be more consistent all the time.
Justine Henin

As for my comfort level, I feel good. I feel like I'm moving much better on the surface. I don't know if it's true, but I feel like I'm getting a little bit smarter out there and more consistent. I feel like physically nothing really bothers me. I can stay out there a lot longer than I could have years ago.
Maria Sharapova

How do you see the next match is against Caroline Wozniacki?

Are you are Danish?
No, I am not.
Ah. Okay, so I can answer.
Francesca Schiavone

I usually tend to react more than act. That's part of my character. Okay, I try and evolve. I think I do. I have changed as compared to what I was years back. There is a huge progress. But I still feel I have to put myself at risk to do what I need to do. I need to be my back against the wall. It's not always easy to manage, but I make it, fortunately.
Justine Henin

It's not so much the temperature but more the wind. It was changing all the time. One time it was blowing this way; then the next second it was blowing the other way. You didn't really know what to expect or, you know, you didn't really know when you were going to change sides if you have actually the advantage of being with the wind.
Caroline Wozniacki

What do you think made the difference today against Venus, and why is it you were able to win the match?
I think first of all what helped me a lot is the tough, mentally tough match against Rezai that we been suspended and coming back the next day. You know, it's like a big step forward. Usually when such a difficult moment goes away, you know, you feel more released and kind of more comfortable in your own shoes. You already had an experience being in the big stadium with the big crowd cheering for me. So, you know, I been already kind of like in the worst moments.
Nadia Petrova

Even if the fans were supporting Justine today, I mean, the French fans, they like people who risk it, like Rezai or Safin in the past. I think you give them exactly what they wanted today.
I gave them a win for Justine? Is that what you're saying?
No. They cheered...
Thank you, Maria. Merry Christmas.
Maria Sharapova

They played three hours today, and Caroline often says that she likes to play these long matches?
That's good. Me, too.
Francesca Schiavone

I know she's trying to help me and it must be hard to handle your emotions when you're sitting in one place. It's much easier for me running around on the court.
Elena Dementieva, referring to her emotional coach/mother

Is there any emotional component to when you're playing Elena? You know her well. You guys are close in age. You're arguably two of the best players on the tour who haven't won a major. I would think the match is going to be pretty important to both of you.
...What I can say, when two Russians are playing each other, it's like a battle to death, you know. We really try to leave everything possible out there, win or lose.
Nadia Petrova

Can you describe what it was like playing in those conditions last night?

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it got worse.
Maria Sharapova

No comments: