Friday, May 13, 2011

Safina takes indefinite leave from tennis

A couple of days ago, I mentioned that Dinara Safina had withdrawn from the French Open. Today, she announced that she is taking an indefinite leave from professional tennis. Plagued by back problems, Safina said that "At the moment, I can't do anything tennis-wise. When I can do certain moves without feeling lots of pain, then I would consider resuming my training."

Several months ago, Safina gave some thought to retiring from the sport because of her recurring injury, but decided to stick with it. The former world number 1 (known as "Thrill Ride" on this blog because of string of breathtaking third set comebacks) was a finalist at both the French Open and the Australian Open, and she holds twelve singles titles. Safina's droll wit ("The more you know, the less you sleep") has made her one of the best press conference personalities on the tour.

"I don't know how long my time out is going to last," Safina said. "I don't want to torture myself and my body anymore."

1 comment:

рестораны в барселоне said...

Quite effective material, lots of thanks for the article.