Saturday, November 8, 2008

Note to Barry McKay...

Elena Dementieva cannot possibly be Vera Zvonareva's "countryman." She is a woman.

And, by the way, "fellow countryman" is redundant.

(And what is going on that half of the things out of McKay's mouth are inaccurate?)

Note to Lindsay Davenport: A 27-year-old female is not a girl.

It's the 21st Century, for god's sake, and this is all supposed to be about equality, but language is our most significant cultural tool: Calling women men and calling adult females children is inexcusable.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fellow countryman is the thing I get the most annoyed hearing. Every commentator says it, and if they are your countryman/woman, of course it's 'fellow'...it really frustrates me

Diane said...

Yes, McKay gets two marks--for sexism and bad syntax.

Anonymous said...

Venus was leading 40:0 in a1st game of 2nd set and went 0:3 then made it to 2:3 40:30 and after that point lost another 3 games and 2nd set subsequently. Did you see 1st tiebreak btwn Zvonareva/Dementieva? What is wrong with women, man

Diane said...

I don't know, but using your reasoning, Blake and Nalbandian just got a gender re-assignment.

Anonymous said...

..agreed w/Blake 100%..he's a rogue agent

Diane said...

I should add that I've always been a huge Nalbandian fan, but every year, I say we're going to break up! Now, I think I mean it...

Vicki said...

Barry Mckay is Mr state the obvious. I've been watching the tennis channel's coverage on youtube. Yes Barry we can see that ball was out. He spoiling the good commentary work Lindsay's doing. I look forward to hearing more from Lindsay. Take Barry McKay out the back and do what you like with him just don't let him back in the booth again.