Saturday, May 10, 2014

Errani and Vinci win their 19th title

The dream run of Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez Navarro ended today when the Spanish wild cards lost the Madrid final to Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci. Muguruza and Suarez Navarro led 4-2 in the first set and 3-0 in the second, but the Italians made their signature comebacks both times, posting a 6-4, 6-3 victory.

This is the Italian team's 19th title, and they'll be going for their 20th next week in their home tournament, in Rome.

2 comments:

Eric said...

If I was Safina, I wouldn't have felt great giving MariaS the trophy. Reminder of all the things that were in reach. :/

I hope her body and mind are well.

Diane said...

Hers is a sad story. Some overcome back injuries, some don't. The tour just isn't the same without her. She had to leave before she figured it all out, and that makes me feel especially bad for her. She always struck me as a kind of gentle spirit--with a twist.

I remember, when she was on the cusp of winning titles but not yet there, Marat chewed her out for her mental self-destruction. After that, she began winning everything.