Monday, November 2, 2009

Bali draw announced

The singles draw has been completed for the CommonwealthBank Tournament of Champions, which begins Wednesday in Bali. Round robin play will occur in four groups, as follows:

GROUP A
Marion Bartoli
Shahar Peer
Magdelena Rybarikova

GROUP B
Samantha Stosur
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Agnes Szavay

GROUP C
Yanina Wickmayer
Anabel Medina Garrigues
Kimiko Date Krumm

GROUP D
Sabine Lisicki
Melinda Czink
Aravane Rezai

Bartoli is the top seed; Date Krumm and Lisicki have wild cards.

The composition of the groups is causing me to slightly warm up to this tournament, whose existence I oppose, simply because I think the Sony Ericsson Championships should be it. I also think that scheduling the Bali tournament after Doha erodes and compromises the meaning of the SEC. (And on a more personal note, I resented the SEC being changed to the week I take my vacation.)

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Like you I am getting interested in this tournament because of some of the new talent and also some women who have dropped in rankings but have worked hard this season because of this tournament. It will be interesting to see if anyone stands head and shoulders above the rest. Possibly someone who shows the talent to get in the top ten. I somewhat oppose it because the top players are just that-the best and should be acknowledged by the only Year END tournament. Also the Bali tournament creates a second tier. I am not sure this is good. The ITF tournaments are the "minor leagues" but anyone who plays on tours is bidding for a high ranking. I was thinking though whether this was part of the WTA's fan friendly program. Many fans follow the top 50 players (50-10) as their favorites and I guess this is a place to have them all together. Whatever, it should be before the SEWTA elite 8.

Diane said...

Frankly, I think it is--more then anything--a way to increase the tour's visibility in Asia. I'm all for expansion, but I would prefer it be accomplished another way.

But since we're stuck with it, we may as well enjoy it. And it really is a good group of players.

Miss L said...

I am looking forward to this tournament getting started! How selfish though for it to start during your vacation :)

Diane said...

No, it was Doha that started during my vacation, and I missed most of it. They moved it up in the calendar.