Friday, May 16, 2008

Rome semifinals set

Will Jelena Jankovic defend her title?

Alize Cornet got an unexpectedly easy passage into the Internazionali BNL d'Italia semifinals when her opponent, Serena Williams, sustained a back injury during practice and gave the Frenchwoman a walkover. Anna Chakvetadze defeated a fatigue-ridden Tsvetana Pironkova, defending champion Jelena Jankovic took out Venus Williams, and Maria Sharapova turned up the volume in the third set and defeated Patty Schnyder.

I was disappointed to see Schnyder lose to Sharapova again, but the good part is that I don't have to endure two of my very favorites, Schnyder and Jankovic, competing against each other. I really hope Jankovic can defend her title, but I like all four players in the semis, and I will be pleased for anyone who wins. Of course, should Sharapova win, the French Open map changes a little.

In tomorrow's semifinals, Cornet will play Chakvetadze, and Sharapova will play Jankovic.

Cornet def. Williams, w/o
Chakvetadze def. Pironkova, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
Jankovic def. Williams, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
Sharapova def. Schnyder, 6-7, 7-5, 6-2

No comments: