Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Venus Williams withdraws from U.S. Open

Venus Williams has not been feeling well lately, and she now has a diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome, an autoimmune disorder that can cause everything from dry eye and dry mouth to joint pain and significant fatigue. Like other autoimmune disorders, Sjogren's syndrome occurs much more often in women than in men.

Williams, who won the U.S. Open in 2000 and 2001, withdrew from the 2011 Open today, giving her second round opponent, Sabine Lisicki, a walkover.

"I enjoyed playing my first match here and wish I could continue," Williams said, "but right now I am unable to. I am thankful I finally have a diagnosis and am now focused on getting better and returning to the court soon."

Williams hasn't played much this season because of injuries. She was unseeded at the U.S. Open, and defeated Vesna Dolonts in the first round.

1 comment:

svente said...

That's really too bad. I've missed watching her play and was looking forward to seeing her in NYC.

That said, it's good she got a diagnosis.

Now cue the internet concern trolls hyping up the "she's lying", "it's steroids" and "it's about helping Serena" posts and comments. Starting in 3, 2...