Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Wimbledon--what they said

The sound of the balls. It's kind of like a whoosh and a pop. It's really cool. It's almost like a video game bot you're playing.
Serena Williams

Even her mis-hits are good.
Chris Evert

I'm very happy that I won this incredible match today.
Angelique Kerber

How difficult is it for anybody to beat her when she's playing like this?
It is big difficult.
Petra Kvitova

If you could meet anyone past or present, who would it be?
I would love to see my grandfather, who passed away, and never got to see me play professionally. He just saw me play as a junior and died when I was 13 years old so I would love to see him now.
Maria Kirilenko

If I lose, I don't keep the trophy.
Serena Williams

She played actually very good and I actually had no chance against her some games because she served very well. She makes the points and I had no plan. I don't know what to do out there in the third set.
Angelique Kerber

Her answer was "Good luck with that."
And your answer?
Good luck with that.
Chris Evert, on Azarenka's take on the grunt-o-meter

3 comments:

Doug Messenger said...

It's true. Even Serena's mishits, and there are many, go in. I first noticed that in 2010 at Wimbledon. Against Kvitova, there was one game in which five or six framed/mishit balls by Serena landed ... you guessed it...in. Remarkable? Yes. Luck? Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I read, somewhere, that Kvitova was serving to Serena's backhand because her forehand return is formidable.
It was a mistake on several counts. It has always been the case that the Williams forehand is sketchy, prone to breaking down. In 2004, Sharapova pounded Serena's forehand, which did break down. How could this have escaped the knowledge of Kvitova's coach?

Diane said...

Serena has a mighty forehand, but yes, that's the side that will break down if anyone is lucky enough to have anything break down. I really have no idea what's going on with Kvitova and what she and her team are thinking.