Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Strange start in Brisbane

The tour's top players are (or, in some cases, were) in Brisbane to start the 2013 season, but it has been a less than auspicious beginning for some of them. Both Sam Stosur and Caroline Wozniacki went out in the first round, with Stosur losing to Sofia Arvidsson, and Wozniacki losing to Ksenia Pervak.

Today, Petra Kvitova, the 2011 Brisbane champion, lost to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova. Qualifier Pervak saved four match points and advanced with a second round win over Urszula Radwanska, and Daniela Hantuchova beat Sara Errani.

In the meantime, Maria Sharapova withdrew from Brisbane because of her collarbone injury.

Also of note: Jelena Jankovic has withdrawn from the tournament in Shenzhen (reason unknown--at least to me).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Petra. Taking the physical shape that she was in when she won Wimbledon as benchmark, she's out of shape now, at least ten pounds heavier. The same as last year (yesterday!).

She needs a new coach. I would not allow her to play in a tournament as out of shape as she appears to be.

In 2011 she was fast, blind pundits notwithstanding. Gotta, gotta become slim again, Petra...

Diane said...

Yeah, I wonder what's going on with that. I was so hoping she would enter the season in shape in body and mind. Hoping for better days.......

Doug Messenger said...

Maybe the 'good life' of the big world away from Fulnek has the team chowing down at fancy eateries a bit too much. She talks about her fitness regime, but does not look any lighter than last year.

Unknown said...

The Brisbane field was loaded last year as well, and same goes this year, though this year it was more loaded. I would love to see Petra going all the way in Australia, but I really doubt it.

Diane said...

I know. I'm not allowing myself to get my hopes up.

Unknown said...

This is so interesting blog. You are best listing knowledge provide at this site. I am very excited read this nice article. You can visit my website.
treatment for lower back spasms