Friday, April 5, 2024

Danielle Collins extends her streak to eleven matches and advances to the Credit One Charleston Open semifinals

Danielle Collins (photo by Daniel Ward)

She did it again. Miami champion Danielle Collins defeated 11th seed Elise Mertens 6-3, 6-4 in the third final of the day at the Credit One Charleston Open. Following the match, Collins said that earlier this year, and toward the end of last year, she was playing well and had some close matches. "It's just like the difference of 'this much' in some of those outcomes, and the margins can be so slim, especially in these long three-set matches. And when sets are going 7-5 and 7-6 -- and I had a lot of those last year--and it was just a few points here and there. So now I'm kind of dealing with those situations when the sets get closer, like, a little bit better, and I feel like I'm also doing some things in the beginning of the matches, too, where I get off to a good start, and that's working in my favor."
photo by Daniel Ward

"...it was a no-brainer to come here," Collins said of coming to Charleston straight off of her Miami victory. "I also felt good physically, so it was kind of like, let's just try to keep it rolling and see how I do."

Elise Mertens (photo by Daniel Ward)


No comments: