Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wimbledon--what they said

I was trying to remind myself, "Just look at the ball and hit it, look at the ball and hit it."
Marion Bartoli

I'm stressed in here, watching these two.
Chris Evert

I’ve played my best tennis here. I took out the champion and runner-up from last year. That’s pretty big. This tournament definitely made me a better player. It was hard today but the experience will help me in the future. I still believe I can be champion one day.
Sabine Lisicki

As of today, the world, or at least the tennis world, must accept and respect one more of your kind. From now on, no one can watch Marion Bartoli do a knee bend or shuffle step or practice cut or fist-pump and ask, “Why?” No one can look at her two-handed ground strokes and volleys, or her flatter-than-flat shots, or her second serve that’s just like a first serve, or her returns hit from a foot inside the baseline and say, “That’ll never work.” More precisely, no one can watch her and think, “She'll never win Wimbledon doing that.”
Steve Tignor

And there's the fist-pumping we'e grown to love.
Chris Evert

You cannot put into any words what I felt in that moment. I couldn't believe I just won Wimbledon.
Marion Bartoli

Marion didn’t have to take out any huge player. Matches are different against top players. They’re heavier. They’re longer. You have more draining rallies. Mentally and physically I wasn’t at a hundred per cent. I took out three Grand Slam champions and went 9-7 in the third against Radwanska two days ago. Marion was fresher. I was a bit sad I couldn’t perform the way I can.
Sabine Lisicki

Do whatever you want now, Marion.
Chris Fowler, as Bartoli jumped up and down toward the end of the match

I think I was just overwhelmed by this whole situation.
Sabine Lisicki

…it's always been a part of my personality to be different. Being just like the other ones is kind of boring, I think. I really embrace being a bit different and doing something not everyone is doing.
Marion Bartoli

I think first start we both really nervous, and then they play well.  And then we get like lot of pressure. So just try to like hold it and fight and then play and try like our best, because never know.
Peng Shuai

I got choked up when she won.
Chris Evert

In tennis, anything can happen; I'm a perfect example of it.
Marion Bartoli

No comments: