Thursday, April 10, 2014

Jankovic advances to quarterfinals in Bogota

Top seed Jelena Jankovic advanced to the quarterfinals in Bogota today when she defeated lucky loser Sofia Shapatava in the second round. Caroline Garcia also advanced to the quarterfinals.

Sloane "I'll win when I'm 30" Stephens went out in straight sets in the opening round, defeated by Mariana Duque-Marino. Stephens, it was announced yesterday, will lead the USA Fed Cup team against France later this month. Other members of team USA are Madison Keys, Varvara Lepchenko and Christina McHale. The French team is composed of Alize Cornet, Caroline Garcia, Virginie Razzano, and Kristina Mladenovic.


In Katawice, top seed Agnieszka Radwanska moved to the quarterfinals with a straight set win over Francesca Schiavone. 2nd seed Roberta Vinci lost to countrywoman Camila Giorgi in the second round (and that match included a third set bagel).

6 comments:

Todd.Spiker said...

You know, Stephens seems to really be buying into the whole notion of a "Future" Sloane. :D

Diane said...

Wait---is this your fault?!

Todd.Spiker said...

Well, first, there would have to actually one day BE a "Future Sloane." Hmmm, I wonder if there's an almost-there version somewhere between now and then? "Waiting Room" Sloane? "Impatiently Tapping Her Foot" Sloane? ;)

Diane said...

Operation Blueprint has her all confused!

Anonymous said...

hi, Diane:

Is Paul Annacone still Sloane Stephens' coach since I hear him all the time on Tennis Channel. Or is it just a part-time arrangement...?

Thanks also for your revealing and entertaining posts from the Family Circle Cup last week. I've now decided to make it one of my must-see tournaments.

Mel

Diane said...

Hi Mel,

Really nice to hear from you. Yes, Annacone is still Stephens' coach, and he does the commentator gig, too.

I'm glad you enjoyed the coverage. FCC is such a fun event. Players, press, fans--everyone has such a good time. I just wish I weren't wildly allergic to something on Daniel Island. This year, even taking a Medrol Pack from Day 1 failed me, and I wound up with a post-tournament allergic reaction :(