Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pironkova wins opening round-robin match in Sofia

Tsvetana Pironkova, playing in front of a home crowd at the Tournament of Champions in Sofia, won her first round-robin match today by defeating Zheng Jie 2-6, 6-4, 7-6. The match laster over two hours and 41 minutes, and the victory was Pironkova's first win over Zheng.

 "...I've never played in front of such a crowd," Pironkova said. "I just want to thank everyone who came out today, because I don't think I could have won this match without them."

Pironkova and Zheng were the only two to play from Group Sredets. In the Group Serkika, Roberta Vinci defeated Daniela Hantuchova 6-1, 6-2, and top seed Caroline Wozniacki defeated Hsieh Su-Wei 6-2, 6-2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tsveti is too cute for words. Delicate and fierce. Nice combination.

Diane said...

I think she is so charming. There's just something about her--that walk, those facial expressions. She has a lot of good things going for her, tennis-wise, but they just don't seem to get appropriately channeled. Too bad--I could do with seeing a lot more of her.