Friday, April 8, 2011

Charleston--what they said


It's like you have a bionic wrist now. What did they put in that?
Nothing. I just took five and a half months off. I think that really did it.
Sania Mirza

...I had first set, set point, and second, set point, and if you don't make these set points, though, it's tough to win these matches. And I played pretty good and I didn't make it, so it hurts a lot.
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, on her close loss to the top seed

I really like beating USTA girls because the USTA doesn't help me at all.
Alexandra Stevenson

...I've been going and going and going and sliding and sliding and sliding up to those drop shots in practice just to remind myself and my feet and my brain that nothing will happen. And plus, I have both of my legs taped so nothing can happen. Or nothing should happen
Caroline Wozniacki (injured last year in Charleston)

Do you think you're playing the best tennis of your career?
I don't know yet.
Peng Shuai

You know, part of the reason why I had that wrist problem is because I have such a hyper-mobile wrist, but because of that I get the power and I get the precision and stuff, but it's also a disadvantage because I get injured in my joint. But the fact is that I feel like I've made myself stronger and I've made other parts of my body stronger to kind of compensate a little bit, and not depend completely on my wrist.
Sania Mirza

...my game was hitting, hitting until I made a mistake or a winner, and I think today was different. I could do different things, I could mix it up. I could make her run. I could do different stuff, and that's why it was such a good match today because I didn't do only one thing, and yeah, I think that's going to help me a lot in the future and going to make me win a lot of matches more than I used to lose before.
Yanina Wickmayer

Caroline played two hours and 33 minutes yesterday, and had another match today two hours and 22 minutes. That's a lot of tennis.
She's getting fit.
Jelena Jankovic

2 comments:

Daniel said...

omg....10:30pm and the doubles hasn't even started yet? put on the coffee!

Diane said...

I'm getting ready to leave--the damp night air has really been getting to me. No one knew that all these doubles players were going to end up at the business end of the singles tournament; scheduling has been really hard. It's kind of interesting, though.

Poor Vesnina--she won a 3-setter in singles tonight and is currently resting before her doubles match.