Monday, June 14, 2010

Defending champion out in 1st round of Unicef Open

Tammy Tanasugarn, the two-time defending champion in 's-Hertogenbosch, was defeated 1-6, 7-6, 6-3 in the first round today by qualifier Anastasia Rodionova. The brief grass season is generally the time when Tanasugarn has her best results.

6th seed Sara Errani and 8th seed Anabel Medina Garrigues were both upset in the first round, and top seed and wild card Justine Henin advanced to the second round with a win over Angelique Kerber.

4 comments:

Overhead Spin said...

Diane, did you see this morning's match with Wozniacki and Rezai. Boy, I tell you Rezai was just working those backhands this morning. Just pushing Wozniacki all over the court. One of the things that I noticed this morning is that the minute Wozniacki tries to be aggressive she starts missing and when she misses she gets down on herself. And when did she start throwing her racquet?

Diane said...

No, I wasn't able to see it. Woz had a temper when she was a junior, and as she matured, she learned how to manager her anger differently. But I think this must be a frustrating time for her. Being seeded number 1 and getting Rezai in her first round draw was probably her worst nightmare.

Overhead Spin said...

Yes how could I forget that she had been disqualified from the US Open as a junior *knocks head against wall*. I agree she did get a brutal draw. Matter of fact I think everyone in that tournie got a tough draw.

What is going on with Wickmayer. She could barely serve out there today against Clijsters let alone keep the ball in play. It was awful to watch.

I wish I could see the Sveta match but no live stream for that one.

Diane said...

I don't knww what's going on with Wickmayer. Maybe she's not running on adrenalin and will anymore?