Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wimbledon--what they said

Will a win in the doubles help you get over what happened today?
I have to get over it. I have to play another match. I want to win that match. I don't want to lose that match. I have to move on rather quickly.
Venus Williams

...her backhand is her stronger shot. I mean, it's very hard to read the shot. Especially when she goes down the line, it's like a last‑second. You can't even read it.
Kim Clijsters, referring to Vera Zvonareva

I had one win over her, and I thought I could win, and I was going for it.
Tsvetana Pironkova

A lot of players are intimidated by Serena Williams. You don't seem to be. You go out and seem to like to play her aggressive game against her. You come to the court. You not need be afraid about opponent. You have to think about yourself, yeah.
Li Na

With Fed Cup coming to San Diego next, have you thought at all ‑‑ are you thinking about playing? Is it a possibility, not a possibility?
Yeah, I'm always thinking about playing. You know, it's just always so tough. Usually I can't walk in November. 
Serena Williams

Obviously right now I feel disappointed, but I think it's going away in a few hours.
Kaia Kanepi

I think I have the habit of probably not finishing my service motion to a full end because as soon as I land with my first foot, I'm already pushing back to be ready for that next shot. So you have to make a choice. You want to be ready, you know, maybe a little bit later for the next shot because you want to have a higher percentage of serve. I'm really trying to work on that. Obviously, you know, in practice it's going well. In matches, it's your habits that come back at the most important moments in the match.
Kim Clijsters

How many grass courts do you have in Bulgaria?
We have none actually.
Tsvetana Pironkova

...I didn't bring my best tennis today. And sometimes, like I said, you really have to live in the moment. I got too caught up in the mistakes I was making instead of just letting it go and moving on.
Venus Williams

At the beginning of the third set, I was so tired like in the head and also the physical. I was really down.
Petra Kvitova

I'm just so proud of the girls. They worked their asses off. Tennis is a grind. I think women in general don't get enough credit. It's a full‑time job, it's 24/7. You're week in, week out on the road for 10, 11 months out of the year. You have no personal life. You have no home life. It's very difficult.
Anna Kournikova, discussing the Russian players

We just had different style. Everyone had [her] own style. That made it unique. Pretty much now it looks very much the same, like the hard hitting, yeah. I think they just don't teach it anymore.
Martina Hingis

Was it the forehand that let you down the most today?
I think I missed all shots today--forehand, volley, backhand. You know, if there was a shot to miss, I think I missed it.
Venus Williams

With players like Hingis and Kournikova in the senior division today, does that make you think you must be getting old, or...
I could ask you the same question.
Serena Williams

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the excerpts. They were great to read, especially Serena's answer to the question about age! Haha.

Diane said...

I'm glad you're enjoying them. It's a Women Who Serve tradition during the majors.