Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wimbledon--what they said

Your nails look good today.
If I would have thought about it, I would have put a strawberry instead of a heart. They're hearts. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I could have had a strawberry.
Serena Williams

...before when I was younger, a few years ago, if I wouldn't play for a few days, I would come out, the third, fourth serve I could hit pretty much as hard as I can. Now it's like ten, fifteen, twenty serves by the time it warms up.
Maria Sharapova, discussing her shoulder

Was the grass actually a problem today or was it just that your game wasn't on?
Well, I don't know. I don't know. Yeah, I didn't play that well. Maybe it was the grass. Maybe it wasn't. But you can't change what surface you're on at Wimbledon. I knew that I was going out to play on that surface.
Samantha Stosur

You're going to watch the USA football game. What's the tension like for you when you're watching the USA team?
Let me tell you, I'm jumping, I'm screaming, I'm punching the air. Just really into it. I mean, I'm really, really into it.
Serena Williams

Elena was in a similar situation yesterday, serving for the match in the second set. She went on to lose. Do you think British players have a temperament problem?
A temperament problem?
Yes.
No, not at all. You know, there's so much pressure on all of us here. All of us, there's nothing more we'd love to do than play good tennis and win here. It just didn't happen. It's unfortunate. But, you know, life goes on. Nobody's died.
Anne Keothavong

You have to forget everything that happened in the past, no matter if you won this tournament, if you lost a few times, if you had bad results, unlucky times. Everything, when you go out on the line, it all starts from scratch.
Maria Sharapova

I really think that age doesn't matter. I think you can be 30 and be on the top of the ranking, and you can be 17. It really doesn't matter.
Caroline Wozniacki

Now, I don't particularly enjoy pointing this out, but there's compelling evidence that female tennis players choke more often than men. But I also think this choking makes women's tennis more fun to watch. Seriously.
Peter Keating

It's obviously been another emotional defeat. Is it the sort of thing that will make you shed a tear in private, in the locker room, or when you go home tonight?
Yeah, you know, it's been emotionally hard, obviously. But, you know, there are 64 other players in the same boat as me. I don't think I'll be the only one shedding a few tears.
Anne Keothavong

No comments: