Sunday, June 13, 2010

Li defeats Sharapova to win Birmingham

Maria Sharapova's pre-Wimbledon run was stopped short today in the AEGON Classic final by top seed Li Na, who defeated Sharapova 7-5, 6-1. Sharapova was trying for a fourth Birmingham championship.

The doubles final has been delayed by rain, with the team of Cara Black and Lisa Raymond leading Liezel Huber and Bethanie Mattek-Sands by a set.

Update: There appears to have been a retirement because of the left knee injury of either Huber or Mattek-Sands, so 2nd-seeded Black and Raymond are the champions, defeating the top seeds 6-3, 3-2.

2 comments:

Todd Spiker said...

I, too, saw that "suspended match" update on the doubles final. But then I noticed that the Tour's scores page is listing it as a retirement. "Left knee"... though it doesn't say whether it was Huber or Mattek-Sands injured.

Diane said...

The last time I looked on the tour site, there was nothing. I just looked again, and there it is. I'll update.