Sunday, September 13, 2009

U.S. Open--what they said

"...I was surprised myself that I wasn't more nervous."
Caroline Wozniacki

"Serena went over to the linesperson and voiced her displeasure."
Craig Gabriel, writing on Serena Williams' website

Sexism award of the day (perhaps of the tournament):
"There were no histrionics and no hormonal outbreaks, just two proud and gifted jocks going about their business."
Bonnie D. Ford, writing for ESPN

"I just wanted to get back in the rhythm of playing tennis, so I have to thank the USTA for giving me the wild card to come back here."
Kim Clijsters

“Last night everyone could truly see the passion I have for my job. Now that I have had time to gain my composure, I can see that while I don’t agree with the unfair line call, in the heat of battle I let my passion and emotion get the better of me and as a result handled the situation poorly. I would like to thank my fans and supporters for understanding that I am human and I look forward to continuing the journey, both professionally and personally, with you all as I move forward and grow from this experience.”
Serena Williams

"I think it's important not to look back too much and say, If I would have won this point, maybe it would be different. I think it's important just to say, Okay, Kim was better than me in this and this, and I need to improve this to be better for next time. Hopefully I can hold up that trophy one day."
Caroline Wozniacki

How's it feel to win a Grand Slam championship?
"Well, actually when I won, I hadn't realized I'd won. I thought, oh, I won the match. And then I put my racquet down, and it finally began to sink in."
Heather Watson

"I don't have words for this."
Kim Clijsters, upon winning the tournament

No comments: