Thursday, June 5, 2008

Safina to face Ivanovic in French Open final

Safina says she will give "everything I have..." in tomorrow's French Open final


Dinara Safina, undoubtedly worn out from starring in her non-stop thrill show at the French Open, was not as sharp as she could have been today, but it made no difference. Svetlana Kuznetsova, a charter member of the Head Case 3 (the other two being rivals Patty Schnyder and Daniela Hantuchova), had the same mental collapse we have now come to expect of her at big moments, and allowed Safina to take an easy win at 6-3, 6-2.

I saw the first set and part of the second set of the Jankovic-Ivanovic match, then I had to leave the house. What seemed the most obvious to me--though no commentator mentioned it--was that Jankovic, about halfway through the set, began making less than wise shot selections, which is not like her at all. I figured my bad luck would be to come back and walk in on the third set of the replay, and that is exactly what happened. I missed seeing Jankovic win the second set, and I missed seeing her go up a break in the third, for a lead of 3-1. I did get to see her go up a break for a 4-3 lead, however, and then have it immediately taken from her. I noticed that Ivanovic hit over and over to Jankovic's forehand, which is not only her weaker side, but which is the side that has been hurting her this past week.

Later in the evening, I was able to see the second set and the first part of the third set. The momentum changed so many times, it made my head spin like one of Patty Schnyder's tennis balls.

Jankovic is rid of Henin, but she has to find a way to beat Ivanovic, not just come close to beating her.

No comments: