Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dokic hoping to return for U.S. Open Series

Jelena Dokic, who has been diagnosed with mononucleosis, is currently taking a physician-prescribed rest, and hopes to participate in the Olympus U.S. Open Series.

I would advise fans to be cautious about their optimism. Already diagnosed with Sports Fatigue Syndrome, Dokic obviously has a compromised immune system. We have seen other tennis players--notably Roger Federer and Mario Ancic--struggle for months or years with mononucleosis.

Of course, Dokic could have a mild case, but she is obviously physically vulnerable. A long time ago, I had what was considered a mild case of mononucleosis, and it took me weeks of rest, followed by a period of muscle-strengthening, before I was myself again. Lucky for me, I had a very smart doctor who understood exactly how to treat the disease.

I wish the Dokic the best. She gets one bad break after the other. It's no fun for fans, either. Speaking as one--I just want to see her be healthy and play.

No comments: