Saturday, June 28, 2014

Wimbledon--what they said

I think she was nervous, as well. She's a human like everybody.
Alize Cornet

I'm in a daze; I can't believe she lost.
Chris Evert, referring to Serena Williams

Nobody is smiling broader than Maria Sharapova.
Darren Cahill

I think it's nearly impossible for a teenager to win a Grand Slam because you don't get to play the top players at an early age, so you don't know what to expect. But if you're good enough, you'll make it in the end.
Ana Konjuh
 
As soon as women took the court, the entire Royal Box emptied out for tea--except for one woman in front row. Shout out, lady.
Ben Rothenberg

I just cannot believe it. A few years ago, I couldn't play on grass, I was so bad.
Alize Cornet

At the beginning of the match I was a little bit confused, but, yeah, you know, I was just trying to play my game and just keep going.
Angelique Kerber

I really want to put up a good game, and sometimes I did some stupid mistakes or didn't use my chances, and that's why I was a little bit frustrated.
Belinda Bencic

I think everyone in general plays the match of their lives against me.
Serena Williams

4 comments:

Nondisposable Johnny said...

Another roller coaster dip for Serena's crazy ride. She may win another major or several more majors, but the last two tournaments represent the first instance where I felt like the tap on her shoulder was from Father Time.

Diane said...

Yeah, I'm feeling a bit of that, too. It has to happen some time. Even to Serena.

Anonymous said...

I felt that last year in Doha, when she beat Kvitova purely on experience, because she was being pushed around, outplayed most of the way. A certain ennui had crept into her game and continued from then until now. It's a shame that Petra and Serena did not come up together. Petra is the only player whom Serena has really worried about. One of the Williams girls (I don't recall which) said as much a few years ago.

svente said...

Wow, that Ben Rothenberg tweet is effed up.

How lovely Royal Box - stay KlaSsY!