Friday, June 6, 2014

French Open--what they said

Simona's court coverage is almost perfect. In the beginning, it seemed like she would be more of a
defensive player, but she has become much more aggressive now that she has gained confidence in herself
Virginia Ruzici

Generating tremendous torque, sometimes leaving both feet to hit, Halep gives as good as she gets from the baseline. Her serve is tricky and she plays angles deftly. And yet the lightness on her feet enables her to be among very elite movers and defenders in the game.
Jon Wertheim

Can we really be talking about a breakthrough? Motivation-wise, is it even a little bit on your mind? Like, "I would like to kind of close the door and show that the veterans are still the ones ruling this tour?"
I'm not here to prove that or try to show that.  I just want to take care of my business.
Maria Sharapova

I think Simona has been very nervous throughout the tournament. Nevertheless, she has been able to manage her emotions and win all her matches in straight sets. I think that in the final she’ll be more relaxed because she has nothing to lose against such an impressive champion like Sharapova, who has already won the French Open. I think Simona will be much more relaxed than in her previous matches.
Virginia Ruzici

But as we've learned from Sharapova over the years, when her back is against the wall, that's when she starts kicking. And hard.
Erik Gudris
ut as we've learned from Sharapova over the years, when her back is against the wall, that's when she starts kicking. And hard. - See more at: http://www.tennisnow.com/News/French-Open-Women-s-Final-Preview-Halep-Versus-S.aspx#sthash.V4IEiqiD.dpuf

2 comments:

Todd.Spiker said...

I wonder if Saturday is going to be for Halep and the Romanian tennis establishment like it was when Kvitova made the Wimbledon final, and so many Czech tennis greats were in attendance to provide support?

Of course, Ruzici will be there. And I think Tiriac was in the crowd for her semi the other day. Nastase? Even Spirlea, maybe?

Diane said...

I saw Nastase in the stands watching her a few days ago, so I assume he's still there.