Tuesday, June 3, 2014

French Open--what they said

Is it the worst defeat in your career?
Yes, you can say so. This loss today is very difficult for me.  I was leading. I won the first set. The second I lost, but it was close. And the third set was within my reach but I lost.  This happens sometimes. She is a very tough player and she fought on each point until the end.
Carla Suarez Navarro

I think I played very good in three sets, but in the important moments I need to improve my mentality.
Garbine Muguruza

Who is Judy Murray?
Maria Sharapova

We’re in the semis of a Grand Slam, so I’m going to respect her but not put her too high on a pedestal.
Genie Bouchard, referring to Sharapova

At the very beginning she gave me points.  I almost had nothing to do. But then I was not showing enough courage on the court. Next time I'll show more courage.
Carla Suarez Navarro

6 comments:

Nondisposable Johnny said...

Grace is in the eye of the beholder, but Halep's balance is Evert-like and I've never come close to thinking that about anyone else...I only hope she can master the mental side on the biggest stages. I guess we're about to start finding out!

Diane said...

An excellent point, Johnny. I'm leaning toward the "grace" side, too. Until recently, every generation has had a player of great grace--Bueno, Goolagong, Mandlikova, Sabatini, Mauresmo. I thought perhaps that was over, but Halep is looking like she belongs in that group.

Sabey said...

"Who is Judy Murray?" Sharapova must really live in her own icy ivory tower.

Diane said...

Maybe not as bad as "Who is Althea Gibson"?

Doug said...

Sabey, Maybe it is more that Maria does not keep track of the off-court stuff of men's tennis.

Diane said...

I would say that Judy M. is more known (except perhaps, among that which passes as the sports media) for her many roles in women's tennis.