Wednesday, April 7, 2010

For those attending the Family Circle Cup

If you are going to the Family Circle Cup, I have some suggestions regarding the weather: Prepare for every type of weather. The sun can really blaze during the day, though some days are unusually cool. Some nights are comfortable, while others--when the wind blows--are very cold. Tornadoes sometimes hit the area during mid-April, so there can be an excess of wind. So bring a lot of layers, a raincoat, perhaps a windbreaker, and--of course--a hat and plenty of sunblock.

The first year I went, I didn't have enough warm clothes, and I was miserable at night. Two of the years I have attended, there were tornadoes. One of them hit shortly before the finals began, and conditions were as windy as you would ever see them during a tennis tournament.

The stadium and grounds are quite nice, and there is shade to which you can retreat. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to get there. You are right, bring all types of clothes because the weather can be unpredictable sometimes. Any rememdy for the no see um buggs?

Diane said...

I've been lucky and have never had to deal with those bugs, but I do hear people complain about them. Sometimes insect repellent is given away at the tournament, but I'd pack some to be sure.

Daniel said...

Yeah, I've never had problems either at the Stadium or the Club court...but I've been eaten alive on those outer courts. I couldn't find any bug spray wipes at the tournament site last year...

Diane, when Jankovic won that day with the tornado...I decided to go ahead and head back to NC instead of watching that match. Boy, it was a bad move....I ran through THE WORST hail storm on I-26 about 5 miles outside of town...I'm assuming the same storm that hit the tournament...anyway, on top of that, I hit hail FOUR more times on the way home. Then in 2002 (or 3?) a low pressure was just off the coast for the last half of the tournament...I didn't bring enough winter clothes either b/c the wind was blowing 40 mph constantly..nearly froze to death..that's why I'm like you..I pack for everything now :-)

Diane said...

A small stadium blanket is a good idea, too.