Monday, June 29, 2009

Wimbledon--what they said

"I had to bring my best tennis to beat her."
Dinara Safina, referring to Amelie Mauresmo

"I was aware for the first time I think in my career that I was on a winning streak."
Serena Williams, referring to her quarterfinal match against Daniela Hantuchova

At least you have to be very happy with how you played in the first set: aggressive, controlling everything, seemed to be clicking pretty well.
"Yeah, I'm a control freak...."
Venus Williams

...ball‑striking‑wise do you feel like you're playing at your A level or almost 100 percent?
"Well, it's never 100 percent. I mean, it's grass...."
Elena Dementieva

"She's a very smart player. I like the way she plays. Very crafty. Has a lot of different shots. Plays very good defense. My hat's off to her. Pretty good match."
Melanie Oudin, referring to Agnieszka Radwanska

Sounds like you're not really that pleased with how you've played so far.
"Yeah...like I said, I feel like I can play better. I know I can. So the fact that I actually know I can get to a higher level is good for me."
Do you need someone to push you to find that next gear?
"Maybe I just need an espresso."
Serena Williams

"...out of all the matches I've played against her, I think this was one of her best performances."
Daniela Hantuchova, referring to Serena Williams

"...the last year, you know, I had those good shots, but I couldn't play consistently. And I think the first time I did that well, it was in Charleston. And I proved to myself that I can actually beat the big players and keep on playing consistent in a tournament. And I think it's going pretty well now, as well."
Sabine Lisicki

"Venus put on a show today, and I would call it the Venus Williams Show."
Richard Williams

"I am playing mixed third match and I look forward to it, as I love playing mixed. It's a different pressure, more fun and enjoyable, and I will get a chance to take one of the men's towels."
Rennae Stubbs, from her Wimbledon blog

No comments: