Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wimbledon--what they said

"...this wanting to win a Grand Slam, it took over me."
Dinara Safina, on her French Open loss

"...although right now it's really hard to look at all the positives, I've still...got a lot to look forward to in the summer, you know, and have another bash at it."
Anne Keothavong

"...it's very easy to lose your rhythm on grass and very easy to lose a couple games in a few minutes, you know, without even blinking."
Jelena Jankovic

There's a comfort level having won. Do you go out there and say, Here I am again, time to win?
"No, I wish it was that easy. The way you said it, though, I'll try to do it that way."
Venus Williams

"He says, 'I sit there and I'm hopeless, because you're doing completely opposite thing from what you know how to do.'"
Dinara Safina, on her coach's frustration

"Once again, I've said it a million times: I have absolutely nothing at all to do with him. So I don't see why people would think that I would reunite with my dad when every single question I answer is about me not doing that."
Jelena Dokic, after being badgered repeatedly by reporters about her father

"A Grand Slam of course is a big tournament, but if you lose, what happens? Nothing really happens. Life goes on."
Caroline Wozniacki

"...I did constantly keep saying to myself, 'You are going to win this. You are definitely within a shout. There's no doubt, you're going to come through this.' When I did actually come through, I didn't believe it."
Elena Baltacha

"Playing on grass gives me quite a hard time. It's nothing like on other surfaces, where I have time to prepare, where I have time to set up for my shots."
Jelena Jankovic

When was the last press conference when you were only asked about tennis?
"Never, unfortunately."
Jelena Dokic

No comments: