Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Madness....

"....plants mirrors in the desert."
Floriano Martins

I didn't imagine it: Neither of today's Indian Wells quarterfinals took place. It was no surprise that top seed and defending champion Victoria Azarenka gave Caroline Wozniacki a walkover. Azarenka has been bothered by a foot injury throughout the tournament. Azarenka, along with Serena Williams, has been troubled by foot problems for a while. Perhaps it's because I'm rehabbing from a foot injury; I do "feel their pain."

While Azarenka's withdrawal from the tournament was not unexpected, Sam Stosur's was. It turns out that Stosur injured her right thigh muscle when she served for the match against Mona Barthel in the 4th round. How much bad luck is that? Both Stosur and her quarterfinal opponent, Angelique Kerber, were rounding into form after unfortunate performance (Stosur) and injury (Kerber) in 2013.

Kerber will play Wozniacki in the semifinals. If the German wins, she will defend her 2012 semifinal ranking points, which would be quite beneficial to her. In the other semifinal, the two Russian Marias--Kirilenko and Sharapova--will compete.

In doubles, 4th seeds Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina defeated Kimiko Date-Krumm and Casey Dellacqua 4-6, 7-6, 10-8, and 3rd seeds Nadia Petrova and Katarina Srebotnik defeated Hsieh Su-Wei and Peng Shuai 6-2, 6-2.

4 comments:

Sunny nine said...

The only weirdness is that on 3-14-13 on 9:22 pm PDT the WTA has Vika as no 1 on their front page of the site. So I am confused. I was a couple weeks after Doha. About how they were doing the rankings. yes the weekly rankings gives it to Serena but now on the front page as I write this they give no 1 to Vika and no2 to Sharapova. Am I crazy?

Diane said...

I doubt it seriously :). That really is weird.

Madness, I tell you!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice
colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself
or did you hire
someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to
design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from.
kudos

my web site :: Click here
Also see my website > My Site

Diane said...

If you publish a blog and don't hostnit on your own site, it's free. Blogger is just one choice. Typepad and WordPress are also popular. Over the years, Blogger (which is a Google service) has improved its service a lot. I'm using one of the Blogger templates.

Curious--are you going for a legal issues blog?