Friday, June 26, 2009

Wimbledon--what they said

And two, one or two of the top players, such as yourself, who complained about being put on outside courts. Are you happy with your scheduling?
"Well, I'm happy to have gotten my match over. I'm happy to have won. You know, I always play on Court No. 2. You know, it's not a court for Roger, but it's definitely a court for me. But I haven't won Wimbledon five times."
You won it two times.
"Hey, I guess it's not enough."
Serena Williams

"I think some people are just too noisy. I understand that they grunt or when she hits the ball, says, 'Uhh,' or something, but not like extra noise until their opponent hits the ball. That's, I think, way too much."
Ai Sugiyama

"I thought I was playing against a wall; the ball keeps coming back, keeps coming back, and it was really hard to make one winner."
Marion Bartoli

It's three magnificent wins for you. How do you really explain that progress?
"I think to grow up and stay a little bit alone, you can think much more to yourself and stay more focused. So I think to be alone is a step that I need to do it. And now I did, and I feel good."
Francesca Schiavone

You have to face Sugiyama again to team up in the doubles. Are you going to say sorry when you meet her?
"Yeah, I already said sorry after the match. You know, it was quite funny before the match. We were warming up at the same place. We just had to make sure we were not going to sit on the same bench."
Daniela Hantuchova

"I was keeping hitting the ball, hitting the ball, hitting the ball, and the ball keeps coming back, keeps coming back. So when I was trying to come to the net, if my approach shot was not absolutely perfect, she was passing me all the time. So I had to come up with the perfect shot on each point, which is really difficult to do."
Marion Bartoli

Have you ever played your sister in any other game or sport and who won?
"I don't know. I mean, we play ping‑pong."
Who won?
"I'm terrible at ping‑pong. I hit too hard. Court's too small."
Serena Williams

No comments: