Monday, June 22, 2009

Wimbledon--what they said

What was going through your mind in the dressing room beforehand, just about to go out there?
"Nothing really. I was kind of thinking about what the towels were going to look like this year. They're really nice."
Laura Robson

"I was able to give her a little bit of her own medicine there."
Maria Sharapova, on her comeback against Victoriya Kutuzova

"I haven't read one article where people say 'She beat number 15 in the world at Roland Garros on her way to the third round.' Nobody realizes that, because the only thing they're really focusing on is my grunting."
Michelle Larcher de Brito

"It's such an unattractive sound, isn't it?"
Laura Robson, on the screaming phenomenon

"I always feel like if people can believe in me, then I should, too."
Serena Williams

"...with my kind of game I play, I think it's most of the time about me. If I did the right things, I think I can beat anybody. If I play badly, I can lose to anyone."
Daniela Hantuchova

After years and years of press conference after press conference, what is the thing you're most utterly fed up of talking about that you get asked?
"How does it feel to play your sister? I might start boycotting that."
Next question. How does it feel to play your sister?
"It feels great."
Serena Williams

"...she has nothing to lose and she can just swing at the ball. So I was thinking, gosh, that felt so good when I was at her age."
Daniela Hantuchova, on playing Laura Robson

"I'm just here for myself. I'm not here really to be quiet for anybody. I'm here to play. I'm here to win. That's it. If people don't like my grunting, they can always leave."
Michelle Larcher de Brito

"When I have confidence in my fitness, I think I can keep playing at the top level. "
Ai Sugiyama

There are so many new names in the game, many not from our country. Is it hard to follow who's who?
"I just know the standard: Everyone is from Russia. Sometimes I think I'm from Russia, too...."
Serena Williams

No comments: