Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wimbledon--what they said

I don't think I've ever fallen three times in a match before in my career, so that was a little strange.
Maria Sharapova

...She showed great composure mentally, rising to the occasion. I liked everything--she showed great shot selection and held up well under pressure. She has a technically sound game and she constructs points well....
Martina Navratilova, commenting on Eugenie Bouchard

It's been more like a MASH unit than Wimbledon.
Pam Shriver

I'm really excited. I really can't believe it. It's a little bit of shock and excitement.
Michelle Larcher De Brito

In the cringe category, a record was set for the most withdrawals or retirements in one day at a major, with seven players (can you name them?) bowing out of singles action because of injury.
Nicholas McCarvel

I am sure I will be more confident in my next match. To beat Jelena was unbelievable.
Vesna Dolonc

As the star names either limped towards the exit or were pushed there by young upstarts who seized their moment with both hands, we needed someone to rely on. Someone who could steady the ship. We needed Marion Bartoli.
Alix Ramsay

No comments: