Saturday, September 8, 2012

U.S. Open--what they said

We can discuss the first and the second, but ultimately when it gets to that third set, I just don't think I did enough on those games to put any thought in her mind.
Maria Sharapova

Has it been as much fun as it appears to us?
Well, sometimes it's not as fun, you know. Especially in that first set today it wasn't that fun.
Victoria Azarenka

It's loud, it's aggressive, it's gritty--much like herself.
Mary Carillo, referring to Azarenka's desire to live in New York City

I think when you're in the situation of a third set you have to put pressure on your opponent. I just don't think I did that at all.
Maria Sharapova

Can you compare reaching your first final in Melbourne and here?
Definitely different. Every time you don't really know what to do, how it's gonna come up. It's just so natural it brings out those emotions, those feelings that you don't know. It comes from somewhere so deep inside of you that you don't know what to expect from yourself.
Victoria Azarenka

...I have really gotten out of being so into routines because it can really drive someone bananas.  I've been on the verge of going bananas because I have to have this, this this. It wasn't helping me win. It wasn't helping me lose. It has nothing to do with that. I kind of have chilled off on that.
Serena Williams
           
There's a reason why everyone is in the draw. There is a reason why everyone puts the net up in the morning for us to play matches. No matter who is going in there as the favorite, no matter how confident they are, everyone has a chance. She's No. 1 in the world, and there is no reason why she shouldn't have a chance.
Maria Sharapova, referring to Victoria Azarenka

What do you think about the final? Is Serena the clear winner?

We will see tomorrow, but I think she can win. I think she will win, but I don't know, of course. They have to play, and Azarenka is also a strong player. I think Serena is another level.
Sara Errani

Do you go back through the archives though and look at any video footage of yourself against Serena in the next 24 hours?
Well, I don't want to be depressed.
Victoria Azarenka

For once nothing weird or distracting has happened here.

Hey, it's not done yet.
Serena Williams             

No comments: