Friday, May 13, 2011

WTA launches "Strong is Beautiful" campaign

The WTA has launched a new, "Strong is Beautiful" global ad campaign, featuring a number of the tour's players. I really like the idea, though I'd like the campaign better if the women were shown in their tennis clothes, on a tennis court, rather than in "photoshoot" style. Still, the ads are attractive and refreshingly simple. Kim Clijsters' ad also contains an unexpected feminist message, so--if we have to keep hearing about how she had a baby and came back--this is certainly a a great way to hear about it. (Of course, the WTA had to go and ruin the effect by once again delivering the sexist message that Clijsters "balances" motherhood and professional tennis.)

Here is the Sugar and Spice video, narrated by Heather Watson:



And here is Li Na's video:




6 comments:

svente said...

"No pressure."

Internet high five!

Overhead Spin said...

I really and truly love this new ad campaign by the WTA. Finally, they are portraying the women as they should be portrayed. Not as models, but as professional athletes. Emphasising their mental and physical strength. Embracing what makes them athletes. I love all of them and hope that going forward this is the way the WTA portrays the women.

Now, if we could only get the women to come together and form their own channel, perhaps we could see more women's tennis on tv. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am by the continued lack of coverage of women's tennis during these combined premier/mandatory events. TC shows the men's portion of these events from the first ball. For the women, it is 2 matches from the quarters. I cannot imagine what will happen when the French Open and Wimbledon rolls around.

Diane said...

Back at ya, Svente!

Diane said...

Karen, Tennis Channel is showing the WTA Rome semifinals and finals, but not in HD, like the ATP Rome matches. I guess we're lucky they're showing them at all. I've enjoyed Tennis TV's Rome coverage.

Wayne said...

These women are "strong and beautiful" indeed.

Great campaign and message from the WTA, all of the women look fabulous. One of these stunning posters is my new screen saver (I am not saying which !)

In other news...
some archival H2H information on the WTA site that made my eyes water...

Steffi Graf currently leads Jana Novotna 29-4 !

Nicole said...

I fully agree with anything you've printed here.