Tuesday, September 1, 2009

U.S. Open--what they said

Have you spoken to your parents back home?
"No, I haven't. I'm not sure what the time is in Melbourne, but I know that they were going to camp out in front of the telly and watch it. So I bet they had a heart attack or two. I haven't spoken to them yet. I'll let them calm down for a bit."
Olivia Rogowska

"...in the French Open, I won all the matches 6-0, 6-1. Did it help? Not really. So I mean, definitely it happens like this, like you pull the match somehow, like God knows. Like, I mean, God knows how I pulled it out. Not me."
Dinara Safina

"I'm disappointed I lost, and I didn't expect to say that after playing the number 1 player in the world. It's a bit weird."
Olivia Rogowska

Did you have dreams at night when you were sleeping of playing a match in tennis?
"Oh, many times, especially after you're playing so many matches, I'm dreaming, I'm yelling in my dream. 'It's out, it's not out, it's in.' I'm still playing tennis sometimes at night, which you got to understand. We play a lot of tennis. We are competing every time. Some of those things that happen during the day, you're dreaming about at night. But what can you do?"
Jelena Jankovic

How did you feel when you looked over at your coach at times in the match presumably for support, and he had very negative body language?
"Well, I guess I had to think what I'm doing wrong that he's so negative."
Do you respond more to a negative approach or a positive?
"We'll skip this answer."
Dinara Safina

It seems that you're more mature now.
"Thanks! What was I before?"
Maria Sharapova

"He coached me for a couple of years. I beat him when I was 13, so he said it was time to move on."
Olivia Rogowska, speaking of her father

There's been a lot of talk about some of the serving on the women's tour. You're someone who has actually turned the corner and improved your serve. Why do you think it's a difficult stroke to master sometimes?
"Well, it looks like this should be the most easiest shot because you are the only one responsible for that and you have all the time in the world to make it happen."
Elena Dementieva

"I thought I was going to be better being stronger, but it didn't make me better; it made me worse. I play my best tennis when I'm light on my feet, when I'm dynamic, when I can move."
Jelena Jankovic

Do you have any advice from your brother inside your head?
"No. Sometimes it's not easy to understand him."
Dinara Safina

No comments: