Thursday, September 3, 2009

U.S. Open--what they said

"There is things I can improve in my game, but I don't have pressure, no."
Dinara Safina

"You never know, with Dinara Safina, whether she's going to play like a genius or play like a dunce."
Virginia Wade

"I'm sure when she plays bigger matches she's going to be ready for it. She doesn't need to take that many steps with those long legs."
Kim Clijsters, speaking of Venus Williams and her knee injury

Have you noticed any differences on tour since you've come back?
"Yes. A lot of Russian is being spoken in the locker room...."
Kim Clijsters

"They better watch out--we are coming."
Yaroslava Shvedova, representing the latest generation of tour players

Do you feel like you lost this match more than she won it, or...
"No, I think she won it."
Elena Dementieva, speaking of Melanie Oudin

You said you have no fear, and you went out there and you weren't supposed to win. Now as people are watching you and you're making these upsets and showing yourself that might change, how do you think you're going to deal with that?
"I don't think it's going to change at all. I don't listen to what other people say about me, like good or bad things. I just go out there and play my game. When I play with no fear, that's when I play my best. I don't worry about anything. I just play my game, and it usually works."
Melanie Oudin

"Safina closed it out and pumped her fist, living to battle herself another day."
Lynn Zinser, writing for the New York Times

...what was going through your mind at the end of that first set when you found yourself down a set?
"Well, I've been down a set also in the first round. There are still two sets more to play."
Dinara Safina

"When I'm in my hotel room, I get to watch a lot of matches, but I do it without the sound."
Maria Sharapova

"I told her after my match, 'You inspired me.' I was watching her game, waiting for my match."
Yaroslava Shvedova, referring to Melanie Oudin

A number 1, playing on Louis Armstrong, does that bother you? Do you believe you belong playing on Arthur Ashe?
"Me personally I like more Armstrong because it's less wind than Arthur Ashe. Doesn't matter if outside is gonna be no wind, on Ashe it's always like turning around."
Dinara Safina

"She's had many opportunities to make Safina more miserable than she is."
Rick Beckham, referring to Kristina Barrois

"The wind blows harder when you're on top."
Kim Clijsters

2 comments:

bill said...

Excellent selection - thanks!

Diane said...

You're welcome, Bill. I'll have more here every day.